Haiti Crisis

Your gift is needed to help earthquake survivors.

View in your browser.

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Donate

CA fires

“I call upon you, for you will answer me, O God; incline your ear to me, hear my words” (Psalm 17:6).

Friends,

A devastating 7.2 magnitude earthquake struck southwest Haiti on Saturday morning. Over 1,400 people were killed, and that number is expected to increase as search-and-rescue efforts continue. Blocked roads are delaying the delivery of vital supplies to hospitals, which are overwhelmed with more than 6,900 injured people. At least 26,000 homes were damaged or destroyed, but the full extent of damage is still unknown. Haiti is also suffering through a political crisis and was hit by Tropical Storm Grace on Monday night, which caused severe flooding in communities already damaged by the earthquake.

For over two decades, the ELCA has maintained a presence in southern Haiti through support for agricultural and sustainable development work. To continue our engagement with those communities, Lutheran Disaster Response is collaborating with partner organizations in the communities to meet relief needs, including food, water, medical supplies and temporary shelter. In the future, other areas of support will include psychosocial care, water and sanitation, and creating sustainable livelihoods through agriculture and livestock. We also stand with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Haiti as it assesses damage and impacts on churches and church life.

Your gifts will support earthquake survivors in Haiti. Gifts to “Haiti Crisis” will be used in full (100%) to assist those affected by the earthquake.

Together, as church, we can be there for our neighbors in Haiti.

Please give now

In Christ’s service,

Daniel Rift

The Rev. Daniel Rift
Director, ELCA World Hunger and Lutheran Disaster Response Fund
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

Additional Ways to Give

Checks or money orders can be sent to:

Lutheran Disaster Response
P.O. Box 1809
Merrifield, VA 22116-8009

Write "Haiti Crisis" on your check memo line.

Give by phone at 800-638-3522 or online.

You have received this email as a member, supporter or leader of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. To ensure that you continue to receive these emails, please add disaster@elca.org to your address book or safe list.

© Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, 8765 W. Higgins Rd., Chicago, IL 60631-4101 
800-638-3522
Subscribe | Privacy | Unsubscribe | Terms of Use
Company Match | Donate