Global Links December 2021

Latest news and stories from Global Mission

View in your browser. | Download a pdf version

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Donate
banner

December 2021
Meet the new International Women Leaders scholarship recipients
banner
Five of the new International Women Leaders scholarship recipients. Far left: Gazelle Rudakubana. Top row: Maya Tannous, Clara Thomas. Bottom row: Adora Yen, Júlia Rowe Camargo.

The International Women Leaders program provides scholarships for emerging women leaders from ELCA companion churches around the world to study at ELCA colleges and universities. Despite the ongoing challenges of the pandemic, nine new International Women Leaders scholarship recipients were able to begin their studies in fall 2021. A few of them share what they are most excited about as their first year unfolds:

Adora Yen, Malaysia, Augsburg University: “I look forward to making more friends and exploring more places here in the United States and, of course, to have a great college experience as a freshman!”

Gazelle Rudakubana, Rwanda, Wittenberg University: “On this academic journey, I look forward to learning more about the American education system, increasing my English skills and growing spiritually through the Weaver Chapel here at Wittenberg.”

Júlia Rowe Camargo, Brazil, Gustavus Adolphus College: “As a first-year student, I am looking forward to starting my academic career with all the support that my college can help me with. I am also excited to get involved in Christian clubs on campus where I can serve, get connected with other students and other cultures and, finally, contribute in class and out of it with my multilingual experience.”

Learn more about International Women Leaders here.

News Around the World
News Around the World
Global mission personnel are preparing to celebrate Christmas with their communities around the world. The Rev. Hitoshi Adachi, a missionary in Kumamoto, Japan, is helping to administer over 20 devotions, Bible studies and worship services. On Wednesday mornings, he leads a series of devotions in five different facilities in the Jiaien Social Services Center. Pastor Hitoshi calls this series “Marathon.” This year the marathon will culminate on Christmas, when two Bible study participants will be baptized.

Learn more about ELCA Missionaries here.

Mission Personnel
Mission Personnel Reflection

A memorial service to celebrate the life of missionary Jim Noss took place recently at the Millenium Cathedral in Ngaoundere, Cameroon. Noss — or “Doko Zeme,” meaning “lead termite,” as he was known in the Gbaya language of Cameroon — and his wife, Karen, retired in 2008 after decades serving with the ELCA and predecessor churches, as well as Lutheran World Relief. More recently, Noss was asked to accompany the Evangelical Lutheran Church Africa Mission as it built and grew the Reconciliation Lutheran Church Community Center and Primary Health Care Clinic in South Sudan. Noss helped plan and implement an expansion of the Reconciliation Lutheran Clinic, providing expertise in administration, finance and program management. Sadly, Jim Noss died on May 16, 2021. The memorial service in Cameroon was a great gathering of siblings in Christ from near and far, including many former colleagues with whom he and Karen had served in Cameroon. Lutheran congregations in other communities in Cameroon also held services the same day to remember Noss’s life.

Watch the service here.

Get Involved
Get Involved

• The Advent Pilgrimage in Palestine is a four-week virtual pilgrimage from the ELCA’s Peace Not Walls and Young Adult Ministry teams, featuring young adult voices from the ELCA and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jordan and the Holy Land. The series began this week with Advent, but there is still time to register and participate. Learn more here.
  • The ELCA Wittenberg Center presents “The Magnificat: Turning the World Upside Down.” This three-part webinar series will mark the 500th anniversary of Martin Luther’s commentary on the Magnificat by examining the continued significance of Mary’s voice. The series begins on Dec. 15, and each hour-long session will take place at 12 p.m. Central time. Learn more and register here.
  • This Christmas, give joyful gifts in honor of your loved ones. Through ELCA Good Gifts, you can choose from 50 charitable gifts that will make a global impact — from a goat to a piglet to a simple water well. It’s easy to make your gift online and personalize a card to print or email. Choose a gift through ELCA Good Gifts.

banner
Subscribe
Contact
Give
Follow Us Facebook  Twitter  Instagram
Share “ELCA Global Links”
Please forward “ELCA Global Links,” in whole or in part, for use in publications, websites or blogs.
You received this email because you provided the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America with your email address.

© Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, 8765 W. Higgins Rd., Chicago, IL 60631-4101 
800-638-3522
ELCA Global Mission | Privacy | Unsubscribe | Terms of Use
Contact Us | Donate | Subscribe