View this email in your browser.

ELCA Churchwide Assembly key actions

Voting members of the ELCA approved a number of key actions during the 2016 ELCA Churchwide Assembly in New Orleans Aug. 8-13. The 945 voting members elected William B. Horne II of St. Paul's Lutheran Church, Clearwater, Fla., vice president of the ELCA. They voted to accept "Declaration on the Way," a unique ecumenical document that marks a path toward greater unity between Catholics and Lutherans. The voting members approved AMMPARO – the ELCA's strategy for Accompanying Migrant Minors with Protection, Advocacy, Representation and Opportunities. The assembly also voted to unify the three lay rosters into one Ministry of Word and Service roster. 

Learn more and read about additional actions taken by the highest governing body of the ELCA.

I'm a Lutheran: Joshua Jerome

Joshua Jerome, a Special Olympics World Games gold medalist, is the featured ELCA member for August’s Living Lutheran monthly profile, “I’m a Lutheran.” Jerome says he’s a Lutheran “because I feel like I fit in at my church and everyone understands me. I don’t feel different. It’s a community of friendships, God’s word and singing. It’s a place that makes me happy to go to and I think that is what being Lutheran is about.”

Read more.

Living on a prayer:
One man’s cross-country journey in honor of his father

Mikah Meyer’s outlook on life was significantly changed when his father died of cancer in 2005. He decided to plan a series of big trips to enjoy a retirement of sorts that his father never got the chance to take. Meyer recently started a journey to visit all 400-plus units of the U.S. National Parks system and be the youngest person to do so. Read more about Meyer’s cross-country, three-year expedition in this August Living Lutheran feature.

Read more.

WATCH THIS

Meet ELCA Vice President Bill Horne

MARK YOUR CALENDAR

calendar

"GOD'S WORK. OUR HANDS." SUNDAY
An ELCA day of service.

calendar

ECUMENICAL REFORMATION COMMEMORATION
Lund, Sweden

FEATURED RESOURCES

Churchwide Assembly photo album

Take a glimpse into the Churchwide Assembly through these photos from each day in New Orleans.

VIEW

Where does your offering go?

ELCA members gave $1.8 billion in offerings in 2015. This video highlights ministries made possible by your gifts.

WATCH

Faith, Sexism, Justice

The ELCA Task Force on Women and Justice invites you into conversation.

DOWNLOAD | ORDER

BULLETIN BLURBS

These snippets are available for you to copy and paste into your bulletins.

Lutheran Disaster Response: Gulf Coast flooding
Historic floodwaters have required tens of thousands of people to be rescued and even more have been evacuated as rain swept across southern Louisiana. Your gifts through Lutheran Disaster Response will bring God’s hope, healing and renewal to those who are affected by flooding in the Gulf Coast region. Learn how you can respond at ELCA.org/disaster.

Ecumenical commemoration of the Reformation with LWF and the Roman Catholic Church
On Oct. 31 in Lund, Sweden, The Lutheran World Federation (LWF) and the Roman Catholic Church will host an ecumenical commemoration of the Reformation. Pope Francis, LWF President Bishop Munib A. Younan and LWF General Secretary Martin Junge will lead a common prayer service in Lund Cathedral and then there will be a public event in Malmö Arena. Tickets for the public event are available for purchase. The event will also be televised and live-streamed globally on World Vision. For more information, visit lund2016.net.

AMMPARO action guide
The word “amparo” in Spanish means the protection of a living creature from suffering or damage. The ELCA’s strategy for Accompanying Migrant Minors with Protection, Advocacy, Representation and Opportunities (AMMPARO) was envisioned after witnessing the plight of children forced to flee their communities because of complex and interrelated reasons, including chronic violence, poverty, environmental displacement and lack of opportunities in El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala. To learn more about the strategy and how you can take action, go to ELCA.org/Resources/AMMPARO and click on “AMMPARO Action Guide.”

Journey with Global Church in 2017

Next year marks Always Being Made New: The Campaign for the ELCA’s annual theme year for the Global Church priority, including Missionaries and Young Adults in Global Mission, Global Ministries and International Women Leaders, and we hope you will join us!

Through a variety of learning and giving opportunities, we will lift up this important work and reaffirm our commitment to do God’s work of restoring and reconciling communities in Jesus Christ’s name throughout the world. In addition to year-round fundraising ideas and fun, educational activities for your congregation, you are invited to join us as we lift up three major events in 2017:

• International Women’s Day, March 8, 2017
  • Pentecost Sunday, June 4, 2017
  • Global Church Sunday, October 2017

Your congregation or synod office will receive an announcement packet with additional details in early October. Stay tuned!

FOLLOW US   

You have received this email as a leader of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
To update your email address or your communication preferences, please send a note to constituent.care@elca.org.To ensure that you continue to receive these emails, please add constituent.care@elca.org to your address book or safe list.
© Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, 8765 W Higgins Rd, Chicago, IL 60631 800-638-3522

Home  |  Privacy Policy  |  Unsubscribe