The Campaign for the ELCA reaches exciting milestones in its fourth year | View this newsletter in your browser

CONTACT  |  SUMMER 2018

Dear friends in Christ,

The bread of lifeHave you had enough of bread?

"I am the Bread of life.
You who come to me shall not hunger,
and who believe in me shall not thirst.
No one can come to me unless the Father beckons."

"And I will raise you up,
and I will raise you up,
and I will raise you up on the last day." (ELW 485)

It’s that time of the liturgical year when the Sundays of August are filled to the brim with bread. A natural reaction to all these sermon, hymns and prayers about “bread” might be to think that one has had one’s fill of bread. It could be a recipe for boredom and apathy. But, can we ever, really have too much bread?

I love the vision, goal, dream and tag line – “that all may be fed.”

The picture you see in this note is of a loaf of bread I recently baked. It has in it seven flours. I like the pattern of the circles that extend around the loaf. To get that imprint, one puts the dough in a banneton. The other day, a friend of mine asked me what that “wicker” bowl was called. I said, “It’s called a banneton, and it is just like an offering basket.”

So, there you have it. We are shaped and formed by our giving. And our giving shapes and forms us. As I like to say, “It’s that simple, and it’s that complex.”

May the vision, the goal, the dream and the hope of Jesus the Bread of Life be imprinted on our hearts, souls and minds. May we in turn be bread of a world that is hungry and craving soul food.

“Come Lord Jesus be our guest and let these gifts to us be blessed.”

Sincerely,

Pastor Ron Glusenkamp
Director, The Campaign for the ELCA

Campaign Progress

Total campaign impact at $186 million

Since the launch of the campaign, ELCA members have contributed $154 million in current gifts, as well as an additional $32 million in planned gifts, to support campaign ministries. This generosity has helped, among other things:

• new ELCA congregations ready to open their doors and their hearts to serve their communities and share the good news;
  • ELCA World Hunger, present in more than 60 countries addressing the root causes of hunger: income, agriculture, education, peace, human rights and more;
  • ministries to people living with disabilities, youth, young adults and others longing to experience the love of God and participate in a community of faith; and
  • future leaders of the Lutheran church – in the ELCA and around the world – ready to respond to God’s call to ministry but struggling with the rising costs of seminary and college tuition.

Read more about these programs in our most recent annual report.

Campaign News

Join us for Rostered Ministers Appreciation this fall 

Doing God’s work in the world calls for leaders who bring a variety of training, skills, interests and life experiences to the work they do in congregations, communities and partner organizations. Whether serving as a pastor or deacon, rostered ministers carry out the work and mission of this church, sharing God’s love with the world through the good news of Jesus Christ.

This fall, we are hosting a Rostered Ministers Appreciation to thank our congregations’ leaders for all they do! This is a great opportunity to show your pastor or deacon your congregation’s appreciation – while supporting the next generation of leaders through the campaign’s Leadership priority, including ELCA Fund for Leaders and Youth and Young Adults. Learn more and access new resources to share with your congregations!

New class of students and young-adult missionaries begins service and studies

Thanks to the support of ELCA congregations and members, a new class of students, future pastors and young-adult missionaries will begin studies or service over the next couple of months, including:

• 78 young adults embarking on a year of international service with the Young Adults in Global Mission program;
  • eight women from our global companion churches beginning studies to pursue four-year degrees at ELCA colleges and universities through the International Women Leaders initiative, bringing the total number of scholarships to 27; and
  • 260 students with more than $2.5 million in seminary scholarships through the ELCA Fund for Leaders.

As always, please don’t hesitate to contact us at 800-638-3522, ext. 2612, or email us at campaignforELCA@elca.org.
Find the latest campaign materials and resources at www.ELCA.org/Resources/Campaign-for-the-ELCA.

See if your company will match your gift.

This email was sent to members and friends of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
To ensure that you continue to receive these emails, please add constituent.care@elca.org to your address book or safe list.

© Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, 8765 W Higgins Rd, Chicago, IL 60631 800-638-3522

© Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, 8765 W Higgins Rd, Chicago, IL 60631  800-638-3522

HomePrivacy Policy | Campaign for the ELCA | Unsubscribe

/