Voting members to meet Aug. 8-12

View this email in your browser.

July banner
CWA

It's almost here: 2022 ELCA Churchwide Assembly

The 2022 ELCA Churchwide Assembly, the primary decision-making body of the church, convenes Aug. 8-12 in Columbus, Ohio. This year’s theme is “Embody the Word,” based on Luke 24:45. Voting members will participate in plenaries, discussions and worship while acting on key legislative business and hearing reports and updates on the work of the church. Living Lutheran provides an overview of the agenda and upcoming elections. In advance of the Churchwide Assembly, ELCA members are encouraged to participate in a series of online Bible studies on Sundays in July. To follow along with the assembly from home, livestream the proceedings at ELCA.org/cwa.

Learn more.

Living Lutheran: “I’m a Lutheran” — Loni Whitford Taylor

“I’m a Lutheran because of what I learned from my grandmas and my great-grandmothers — from their faith lives, prayers, beliefs and teachings. Because of them I know the Creator is with me and leading me.” In the June/July issue of Living Lutheran, Loni Whitford Taylor talks about her experiences as an EMT, the joy of community in her church, and how her Lutheran faith and her Native traditions and customs go hand in hand.

Read more in this month’s “I’m a Lutheran.”

living lutheran
CWA

50th Anniversary of the Ordination of Women Survey Report

Explore the results from the most recent survey on gender and race disparities in the ELCA ministry of Word and Sacrament. This report is important for everyone, from people who make decisions on compensation to people who greet ministers after a church service. Although some disparities are decreasing, the ELCA still has significant disparities.

With every major anniversary of U.S. Lutheran churches’ decisions to ordain women, the ELCA studies experiences in ministry so that the whole church can foster equity among all ELCA rostered ministers. A subsequent study, focused on the ministry of Word and Service, is anticipated in the near future.

View the report.

WATCH THIS

Tell the story in a new way | Synod Assembly 2022

Five hundred years ago, Martin Luther published his first translation of the New Testament into the German vernacular. Luther shared the good news with the help of Gutenberg's printing press. In this year’s Synod Assembly video, Presiding Bishop Elizabeth Eaton urges us to follow Luther's example and use modern tools to spread the gospel.

Seeds Video

MARK YOUR CALENDAR

calendar
Virtual Bible study series
In advance of Churchwide Assembly

calendar
ELCA Churchwide Assembly
Embody the Word

calendar
STEWARDSHIP KALEIDOSCOPE
Conference in Savannah, Ga., and online

calendar
Bold Gathering
Lutheran Men in Mission

FEATURED RESOURCES

Resource 1

Resource 2

Resource3

ELCA publishes “Guidelines for Ministry in a Multi-Religious World”

Guided by our church’s interreligious policy statement “A Declaration of Inter-Religious Commitment: A Policy Statement of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America,” the ELCA has developed a new resource to assist pastors and deacons in navigating our multireligious landscape.

LEARN MORE

“God’s work. Our hands.” Sunday

Prepare for a day of service on
Sept. 11 with planning resources
including a toolkit, worship
resource, videos, posters, social
media graphics and a special
hymn for the day.

BROWSE

ELCA World Hunger Global Farm Challenge

This resource packet includes a collection of resources, including a brochure, a to-go card game, an action guide, and more, to help youth and your congregation raise awareness and funds for ELCA World Hunger's Global Farm Challenge this summer.

ORDER  | DOWNLOAD

BULLETIN BLURBS

These snippets are available for you to copy and paste into your bulletins.

Situation Report: Ukraine and Eastern Europe

More than four months after Russian troops invaded Ukraine, fighting continues to intensify and humanitarian conditions continue to deteriorate. The United Nations estimates that at least 24 million people — more than half of Ukraine’s population — will need humanitarian assistance in the coming months. In addition to continuing to meet the immediate needs of arriving refugees, our partners in the region support those fleeing the violence in Ukraine and provide assistance in psychosocial care, pastoral care, housing, job searches, language study, school admission, legal services, cash assistance and other key integration support for individuals and families. Read the full situation report from Lutheran Disaster Response at blogs.elca.org/disasterresponse/.

Stewardship Kaleidoscope — Register Today

The 2022 Stewardship Kaleidoscope conference will be held in person in Savannah, Ga., Sept. 26-28, with a livestreamed participation option as well. Stewardship Kaleidoscope explores stewardship in its many colorful dimensions! This annual conference offers plenary speakers, workshops, worship experiences and networking opportunities for all who are passionate about stewardship and generosity. Register today for the best rate. Group pricing and special discounts for first-call pastors attending in person are available. Visit StewardshipKaleidoscope.org to learn more.

Journal of Lutheran Ethics

Behind on your summer reading? Journal of Lutheran Ethics (JLE) book reviewers provide brief essays that help you stay up to date with what’s being published. learn.elca.org/jle/category/book-review/ Recent books reviewed include the novel Crossroads by Jonathan Franzen, Amending the Christian Story: The Natural Sciences as a Window Into Grounded Faith and Sustainable Living by Ron Rude, I Never Thought of It That Way: How to Have Fearlessly Curious Conversations in Dangerously Divided Times by Monica Guzman — to tickle your curiosity with just a few. Visit JLE, a place for seminary and university students, pastors and bishops, theologically informed lay people, advocates, and activists. (www.elca.org/jle)

ELCA Question of the Week

Over the past few weeks, we’ve asked our social media audiences an #ELCAQuestionOfTheWeek — and we received nearly 1,000 responses to help us learn more about ELCA members’ experiences in their congregations! Read some of our favorite answers here, and follow the ELCA on Facebook for more initiatives like this one.

FOLLOW US   

You have received this email as a leader of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
To ensure that you continue to receive these emails, please add constituent.care@elca.org to your address book or safe list.
Did you receive this email as a forward from a friend? Subscribe to Seeds Monthly.

© Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, 8765 W. Higgins Rd., Chicago, IL 60631-4101  800-638-3522

Home  |  Privacy Policy  |  Unsubscribe