Texas winter storms

Your gift is needed to help severe storm survivors in Texas.

View in your browser.

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Donate

TX storms

“I lift up my eyes to the hills – from where will my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth” (Psalm 121:1-2).

Dear friends,

The last year has been full of changes and challenges for all of us. Now we are again witnessing a devastating disaster amid the ongoing pandemic. As neighbors in Christ, we have an opportunity to share God’s hope, healing and renewal with each other.

Beginning Feb. 14, a polar vortex descended over the United States. Subfreezing temperatures and heavy snow swept across the country, impacting millions of people. The harsh conditions severely impacted Southern states, such as Texas, which lack the infrastructure to handle the freezing temperatures and record-setting snow and ice. This has led to power, food and water shortages throughout the region. At its peak, 4.5 million homes and businesses in Texas were without power. With bursting pipes and broken water systems, around 10 million Texans are facing water disruptions. As temperatures rise, melting ice and snow is expected to cause more water damage.

Lutheran Disaster Response is collaborating with the Texas-Louisiana Gulf Coast Synod, the Southwestern Texas Synod, the Northern Texas-Northern Louisiana Synod, and Lutheran Social Services Disaster Response. Congregations are already conducting relief efforts such as supplying water, food and generators to those in need and opening their doors to serve as shelters. Long-term recovery may include repairing water-damaged homes, disaster case management and supporting vulnerable populations.

Please give today. Your gifts ensure that our church will be able to provide help and hope for those whose lives have been devastated by the severe storms in Texas. Gifts designated for “U.S. Severe Storms” will be used entirely (100%) for direct response.

Together, we can help provide immediate and long-lasting support for those whose lives have been impacted by severe winter storms and subfreezing temperatures in Texas. Doing this we reflect Christ’s light and hope to our neighbors in their time of need. For updates on this and other disasters, follow Lutheran Disaster Response on Facebook.

Please give now

With gratitude for your partnership,

Daniel Rift

The Rev. Daniel Rift
Director, ELCA World Hunger and Lutheran Disaster Response Funding
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
You have received this email as a member, supporter or leader of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. To ensure that you continue to receive these emails, please add disaster@elca.org to your address book or safe list.

© Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, 8765 W. Higgins Rd., Chicago, IL 60631-4101 
800-638-3522
Subscribe | Privacy | Unsubscribe | Terms of Use
Company Match | Donate