Western U.S. Wildfires

Your gift is needed to support wildfire survivors.

View in your browser.

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Donate

CA fires

“I keep the Lord always before me; because [the Lord] is at my right hand, I shall not be moved” (Psalm 16:8).

Friends,

The 2021 wildfire season is devastating the western United States. A prolonged drought and extreme heat waves are causing wildfires to spread rapidly, which makes them difficult to contain. California is currently the hardest-hit state — the Dixie Fire, in Northern California, is already the second largest wildfire in the state’s history, having burned over 505,000 acres. Tens of thousands of people are under evacuation orders, and hundreds of buildings have been destroyed.

The fires are not limited to California; more than 100 wildfires are now burning throughout 15 states. Smoke from these fires is carried across the country, a sign of the far-reaching effects of worsening wildfires.

Lutheran Disaster Response is working with synods and social ministry organizations in California and other western states to develop a coordinated response to the wildfires. We anticipate that immediate needs will include food and other necessities. Long-term recovery will likely take years. Because emotional and spiritual care is a key aspect of disaster response, the Sierra Pacific Synod is developing a Lutheran Chaplaincy Corps, training rostered leaders and laypeople to offer such care to first responders and survivors after a disaster.

Your gifts will support wildfire survivors. Gifts to “U.S. Wildfires” will be used in full (100%) to assist those affected by wildfires, until the response is complete.

You may also designate gifts to “Lutheran Disaster Response” so we can immediately respond to disasters in the United States and around the world whenever they might strike.

We pray that God may comfort and protect those in the paths of wildfires. Together, we can follow Christ’s call to heal and share hope with those who are suffering.

Please give now

In Christ’s service,

Daniel Rift

The Rev. Daniel Rift
Director, ELCA World Hunger and Lutheran Disaster Response Fund
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

Additional Ways to Give

Checks or money orders can be sent to:

Lutheran Disaster Response
P.O. Box 1809
Merrifield, VA 22116-8009

Write "U.S. wildfires" on your check memo line.

Give by phone at 800-638-3522 or online.

You have received this email as a member, supporter or leader of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. To ensure that you continue to receive these emails, please add disaster@elca.org to your address book or safe list.

© Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, 8765 W. Higgins Rd., Chicago, IL 60631-4101 
800-638-3522
Subscribe | Privacy | Unsubscribe | Terms of Use
Company Match | Donate