Lutherans act for climate justice through service and worship

View this email in your browser.

April Jan banner
climate justice

Lutherans act for climate justice

As we prepare for Earth Day, Presiding Bishop Eliabeth Eaton shares some examples of how Lutherans are caring for creation and addressing climate justice. The ELCA collaborates with ecoAmerica’s Blessed Tomorrow program to train creation care ambassadors. In Washington, D.C., we seek solutions to the impacts of climate change through advocacy, building relationships with elected leaders. Globally, the ELCA participates in the Conference of the Parties (COP) at the United Nations Climate Change Conference. Lutheran delegates have witnessed action on climate issues including options to improve soil and meet a growing demand for food.

God calls us to be stewards of the earth and to fully integrate creation care into our love of God, neighbor and everything in our environment. Watch the video and get involved.

Living Lutheran: Freed to Ask Difficult Questions

“Nothing — not even the most dangerous questions — can separate us from God.”

In Living Lutheran’s April lead feature, Anna Madsen contemplates Christians’ hesitance to ask hard questions about faith. Though asking questions can feel risky or worrying, Madsen argues, it can also allow God to teach us something new.

“We can confidently say, ‘This is what I believe — and maybe there’s more to it than that.’ When we do so, we open ourselves not to the devil but to the possibility of God bringing about something new.” Read more and download the study guide.

living lutheran
Joel McKinnon

Living Lutheran: I’m a Lutheran: Joel McKinnon Miller

“You go through ups and downs in life, but you have that foundation — that faith. We always have that, and that’s the gift, isn’t it? I’m a Lutheran because my parents brought me up in the Lutheran church, and now it’s just part of who I am and who I’ll always be. It’s almost like part of my DNA, I guess you could say.” In the April issue of Living Lutheran, Joel McKinnon Miller talks faith, acting and life lessons, sharing how his Lutheran faith is woven through his life story. Read more in this month’s “I’m a Lutheran.”

WATCH THIS

“I Know My Redeemer Lives” | Presiding Bishop Elizabeth Eaton | Easter 2022

Presiding Bishop Elizabeth Eaton reminds us to declare confidently, on Easter and all times, "I know that my Redeemer lives.” We hope you had a wonderful Easter Sunday.

Seeds Video

MARK YOUR CALENDAR

calendar
Earth Day worship service
Lutherans Restoring Creation

calendar
Ecumenical Advocacy Days
“Fierce Urgency: Advancing Civil & Human Rights”

calendar
Celebration of Arab American Heritage Month
Association of Lutherans of Arab and Middle Eastern Heritage

calendar
ELCA Churchwide Assembly
Embody the Word

FEATURED RESOURCES

Resource 1

Resource 2

Resource3

Justice Portal

Loving our neighbors includes working for justice in our personal and public lives. The ELCA’s Justice Portal offers information and links to join others across the church in living out God’s baptismal call to act for justice.

VISIT

“A Declaration of the ELCA to the Muslim Community”

This declaration was recently adopted by the ELCA Church Council as a statement on Lutheran-Muslim relations.

READ MORE

“Tree of Healing” Vacation Bible School program

Come learn about health at the “Tree of Healing,” ELCA World Hunger’s VBS program for 2022. Skits, stories and activities will teach children of all ages, both in person or online, what it means to be healthy in body, mind and spirit.

ORDER  |  DOWNLOAD

BULLETIN BLURBS

These snippets are available for you to copy and paste into your bulletins.

Celebration of Arab American Heritage Month

April is Arab American Heritage Month, and the Association of Lutherans of Arab and Middle Eastern Heritage (ALAMEH) is hosting an online celebration on Thursday, April 28, at 6 p.m. Central time. The event will feature speakers Samer Khalaf, national president of the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee, and Jonathan Kuttab, executive director of Friends of Sabeel North America. The celebration will address Arab American heritage in the U.S., advocacy, justice, combating discrimination and more. Register at bit.ly/ALAMEHCelebration.

View or host an Earth Day worship service with Lutherans Restoring Creation

Get ready for Earth Day with the help of Lutherans Restoring Creation! Register to receive free worship materials to incorporate into your own service, or watch LRC’s virtual service, available (with full Spanish translation) on YouTube and Facebook Live starting April 22. The Rev. Carmelo Santos will share the message according to the readings for April 24. Downloadable resources are available now; learn more at lutheransrestoringcreation.org/.

2024 ELCA Youth Gathering location announced

The ELCA Youth Gathering is jazzed to announce that we will be heading to New Orleans for the 2024 Gathering, MYLE and the tAble! The Big Easy is filled with rich history, friendly locals, amazing food and great music, and we just can’t wait to go back. Mark your calendars for July 16-20, 2024, to join this transformational faith-formation event. MYLE and the tAble will take place immediately before the Gathering, from July 13 to 16. More information is available at www.elca.org/youthgathering.

FOLLOW US   

You have received this email as a leader of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
To ensure that you continue to receive these emails, please add constituent.care@elca.org to your address book or safe list.
Did you receive this email as a forward from a friend? Subscribe to Seeds Monthly.

© Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, 8765 W. Higgins Rd., Chicago, IL 60631-4101  800-638-3522

Home  |  Privacy Policy  |  Unsubscribe