LDR Turkey Earthquake e-alert

Your gift is needed for earthquake survivors.

View in your browser.

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Donate

hurricane Ian

“I call upon you, for you will answer me, O God; incline your ear to me, hear my words” (Psalm 17:6).

Dear friend,

This morning we woke to the news that two powerful earthquakes had hit Turkey and significantly impacted neighboring Syria. The first was a magnitude 7.8 earthquake in south central Turkey, followed hours later by a magnitude 7.5 quake in the southeastern part of the country. The two quakes have devastated Turkey and Syria, collapsing thousands of buildings and damaging infrastructure. Over 2,000 people have been killed and thousands more have been injured, yet search-and-rescue efforts are only in the early stages. A cold and snowy weather system now moving through the region complicates the response efforts.

Lutheran Disaster Response and its partners are prepared to accompany our neighbors impacted by these earthquakes. One hundred percent of your gifts to "Middle East Crisis" go to supporting earthquake survivors and other people affected by disasters in the region.

Lutheran Disaster Response has been active in this region for several years, partnering with ACT Alliance, the Lutheran World Federation and the Middle East Council of Churches to accompany Syrian refugees and internally displaced people with food, water, shelter, health services and sanitation support. The epicenter of one earthquake lies near Turkish provinces that host hundreds of thousands of Syrian refugees, which will only exacerbate the refugee crisis in the region.

Lutheran Disaster Response is committed to supporting ACT Alliance and other partners in responding to these earthquakes. Even as the sun was rising on the first earthquake, ACT Alliance member organizations began distributing emergency supplies, including medicines, bedding and other relief items. A comprehensive response will be coordinated as the full extent of the impact becomes clearer.

give now
By standing with earthquake survivors in Turkey and Syria, we follow Christ’s call to share hope and healing with our neighbors in need.

With gratitude,

Daniel Rift

The Rev. Daniel Rift
Director, ELCA World Hunger and Lutheran Disaster Response Fund
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

Additional Ways to Give

Checks or money orders can be sent to:

Lutheran Disaster Response
P.O. Box 1809
Merrifield, VA 22116-8009

Give by phone at 800-638-3522 or online.

You have received this email as a member, supporter or leader of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. To ensure that you continue to receive these emails, please add disaster@elca.org to your address book or safe list.

© Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, 8765 W. Higgins Rd., Chicago, IL 60631-4101 
800-638-3522
Subscribe | Privacy | Unsubscribe | Terms of Use
Company Match | Donate