Global Links Dec 2020

Latest news and stories from Global Mission

View in your browser. | Download a pdf version

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Donate
banner

DECEMBER 2020
Advent in Palestine Virtual Pilgrimage
banner

In the first video of the “Advent in Palestine” series, the Rev. Ashraf Tannous, pastor of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Reformation in Beit Jala, Palestine, delivers a powerful message on maintaining hope in the middle of turbulence. “Let us keep asking from God to give us this hope so that we stay hopeful people no matter what we are living in this world,” he said. Watch the video reflection here.

“Advent in Palestine” is a four-week virtual pilgrimage from the ELCA’s Peace Not Walls and Young Adult Ministry teams, featuring voices from the ELCA and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jordan and the Holy Land. You can still register to receive reflections like this one via email. Sign up here and see past reflections on the ELCA Young Adults Facebook page.

News Around the World
News Around the World
Hurricane Eta made landfall in Central America in early November, and less than two weeks later, Hurricane Iota hit Nicaragua — both as Category 4 storms. Lutheran Disaster Response is supporting a number of companion churches and ecumenical partners in the region. Activities will include delivering food packages, solar lamps and hygiene kits. Give to the hurricane response here.
Mission Personnel Reflection
Mission Personnel Reflection
Lai Heak (right), host mother in Cambodia, with Jessica Moes, YAGM volunteer.

By Jessica Moes, Young Adults in Global Mission (YAGM) alum

During my time in Cambodia, my host mother, Lai Heak, was my person. She was 35, a mother to two hilarious girls, and incredibly poignant, perceptive and smart. While we washed dishes or cross-stitched, we would sit and talk about the deep things affecting her life, such as friendships and frustrations.

Many months into my time with her, she turned the conversation on me: “How are you, Jessica, really?” And, well, I floundered.

Read more here.

Apply for Young Adults in Global Mission (YAGM):
Calling young adults ages 21 to 29 — apply now for an international service year with YAGM! The deadline is Jan. 15, 2021, for service beginning in August 2021. Spread the word! Learn more and apply for YAGM here.

YAGM Country Program Fun Facts:
Follow Young Adults in Global Mission (YAGM) on Instagram to learn interesting facts about each country program. This month, YAGM is highlighting the Central Europe and Mexico country programs. Test your knowledge below.
  • Hungarian inventor ErnÅ‘ Rubik created the Rubik’s cube. How many cubes make up a Rubik’s cube puzzle?
  • How many recognized Indigenous languages are still being spoken in Mexico?
See the answers in YAGM’s Instagram story highlights here.
Get Involved
This Christmas, give joyful gifts in honor of your loved ones. Through ELCA Good Gifts, you can choose from 50 charitable gifts that will make a global impact — from a goat to a piglet to a simple water well. It’s easy to make your gift online and personalize a card to print or email. Choose a gift through ELCA Good Gifts.
Learn More
banner
Subscribe
Contact
Give
Follow Us Facebook  Twitter  Instagram
Share “ELCA Global Links”
Please forward “ELCA Global Links,” in whole or in part, for use in publications, websites or blogs.
You received this email because you provided the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America with your email address.

© Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, 8765 W. Higgins Rd., Chicago, IL 60631-4101 
800-638-3522
ELCA Global Mission | Privacy | Unsubscribe | Terms of Use
Contact Us | Donate | Subscribe